By Yi Wang (Wang Laoshi), Seattle Waldorf High School Mandarin Teacher
Lunar New Year celebrations are marked by many practices that are believed to be auspicious for the upcoming year. Seattle Waldorf High School Mandarin class students greet everyone with New Year well-wishes, which are said to bring in blessings for the coming Year of the Tiger. We wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year. Good fortune is ahead! Here are some blessings students have learned:
- 大吉大利 (dà jí dà lì)—May you have great luck and great profit
- 年年有馀 (nián nián yǒu yú)—Wishing you abundance and prosperity every year
- 新年大吉 (xīn nián dà jí)—Wishing you luck for the new year
- 恭贺新禧 (gōng hè xīn xǐ)—Good luck in the year ahead
- 心想事成 (xīn xiǎng shì chéng)—May all your wishes come true
- 万事如意 (wàn shì rú yì)—May everything go well for you
- 阖家幸福 (hé jiā xìng fú)—May your whole family be filled with happiness
High school Mandarin classes made the following video to share with the community.
During the celebration of the Lunar New Year, Seattle Waldorf High School Mandarin class students in grades 11 and 12 received blessings from their pen pals at Beijing Nanshan Waldorf High School. Chinese pen pals also recorded the following video to introduce their campus.
Seattle Waldorf students learn about different cultures and languages through pen pal correspondence, which provides a personal connection that makes the study of Chinese more meaningful. Students at both schools were excited to see each other on video and they all look forward to more exchanges and the opportunity to improve their language skills.